The roots of the Jewish community in Großlangheim go back to the end of the 16th century.
The "Würzburg Jewish Census" compiled in 1699 lists 15 people under Brandenburg-Ansbach protection and 19 people under Schwarzenberg protection for Großlangheim.
When the Jewish register was compiled (1817), 13 heads of families were registered for the town. At that time, the trade in elbow goods, livestock and grain were important sources of income.
Plans to build a synagogue were realized in 1837. This replaced a prayer room that had existed for decades in a private house. Other facilities included a community center, which housed the religious school with a teacher's apartment and a ritual bath.
In 1907, the two Jewish communities of Großlangheim and Rödelsee merged. Großlangheim became the seat of the community.
In 1933, there were only 13 Jewish residents left in the town. The last four Jewish people were deported via Würzburg to Izbica or Theresienstadt in the course of 1942.
Inge Thomaier