The Jewish community of Hüttenheim

The earliest evidence of Jewish people in Hüttenheim comes from the village ordinance of 1498.

The so-called Vorsängerhaus with mikvah was built in 1662 and was probably used as a synagogue. In 1754, a new Baroque-style synagogue with a chupa stone was added. The interior furnishings and rituals were destroyed during the Reich Pogrom Night of 1938. The important ensemble has been privately renovated and is now used for residential purposes.

The Jewish community flourished in the 19th century. In 1813, 173 Jewish community members lived in Hüttenheim, which corresponded to 20% of the population. From the second half of the 19th century, the number of Jewish community members declined due to emigration and emigration. A symbolic piece of luggage on the market square in addition to the DenkOrt network in Würzburg commemorates the deportation of the Jewish population.

There is a Jewish cemetery in the vineyards on Hüttenheimer Tannenberg. The original burial site in Rödelsee was assigned to the Grand Duchy of Würzburg in 1810 as a result of the Reichsdeputationshauptschluss, while Hüttenheim belonged to the Crown of Bavaria. A separate cemetery with a tahara house was therefore built. The first burial took place in 1818.

Information boards with further information can be found at the former synagogue and the Jewish cemetery.

Geschichten

Autorin

Ingrid Reifenscheid-Eckert