In the middle of the 19th century, 79 Jewish people lived in Segnitz. The coexistence between members of Judaism and Christianity was obviously harmonious. Jews took part in community life, Jews performed the compulsory community service and were represented on the local council.
Between 1848 and 1881, the "Brüsselsche Handelslehr- & Erziehungsanstalt" made Segnitz world-famous as a school town. It was a commercial school with a boarding school that attracted a great deal of attention during its existence, not only in Jewish merchant circles around the world. The institution was founded by Julius Brüssel, who had been a member of the Jewish religious community in Segnitz as a precentor and religious teacher since 1830. In addition to "elementary and general subjects", the school taught religion, German language, geography, history, natural sciences and, of course, all commercial subjects such as "commercial arithmetic and correspondence", bookkeeping, currency, coinage, weights and measures, French and English.
Most of the pupils came from Jewish families. However, children from Christian families were also admitted.
Lessons took place in the main building, the so-called "Cours". It was located on the banks of the Main in what is now Mainstraße 26. Over the course of time, the children's quarters were located in at least four different houses in the village.
After Brüssel's death in 1855, the language teacher Prof. Ernst Emil Uttner took over the management of the boarding school. In 1859, Dr. Simon Levi Eichenberg took up his post as director of the Brussels Institute. Under Eichenberg, who remained director until 1872, the commercial and educational institution flourished, making Segnitz famous throughout the world. The principal was also committed to the interests of the town. He founded a charitable association to support the poor, the sick and servants, supported the bridge-building society and was involved in the founding of the choral society.
In 1869, 120 pupils attended the "Curse" offered. According to the school prospectus, there were 5 Americans, 75 Austrians, 5 Prussians, 6 Württembergers, 2 Thuringians, one Italian, 23 Bavarians, 2 Russians and one Mecklenburger.
In 1872, the number rose to 148, and in the winter semester of 1872/73 even to 154 boarders. In the course of the 1870s, however, the number of pupils steadily declined.
From 1875, Samuel Spier, Eichenberg's nephew, was in charge of the institute. Although the institution was still highly praised, there were signs of a gradual decline. In 1881, Spier closed the "Brüsselsche Handelsinstitut" and sold the buildings.